Here Eric shows and tells how he made a custom Quin inspired by a Star Wars roll-playing game character. Enjoy!
I brought a collection of Quin and Niq prints to the artist alley of a local convention. I posted a sign stating that I was open for custom action figure commissions based on attendees cosplay or comic book characters.
2015 Pop-up shop in Honolulu
A young lady followed up and emailed me some screen captures of her friend's RPG character and asked if I could produce a custom figure in time for Christmas 2015.
I was thinking that this character was a Mandalorian character like Boba Fett, I didn't have anything but the images to go on and it looked like the same type of gear. I later found out the character is part of a race called the Rattataki that can be played as a bounty hunter (like Fett.)
This is some armor from thingiverse that seemed similar in my Afinia printer's software, I played around with different elements to figure out what would work.
At this stage I thought I'd go with a cloth body suit from an etsy artist I had worked with before and have the armor attached to the suit.
G1 Quin Model With Elements from the "To Infinity" UpKit
The timing didn't work out for a suit so I ended up going with a few layers of a rubbery spray call tool dip over a Quin Generation 1 nude body with Infinity Generation booted feet and gloved hands.
This is the head and body before paint. The character was pretty much chalk-white so I used white ABS filament.
Gloved Hand Poses from the "To Infinity" UpKit
I included some other hand options with the figure. I've been making multi-color prints for a while with my simple printer by watching the print and swapping the filament as the parts are printing
This is a helmet that I found in my armor search, it was cool but wasn't needed for this figure. I used the unpainted figure to check my armor scale and fit.
I printed up the armor parts I would need in the final figure. Some parts like the shoulder scales were bigger than I would need but I wanted to see them overlap on the figure before trimming and combining them.
Getting ready to paint the armor, masking with painters tape.
I had some under-spray from the Rustolium rattle can, I went over the white areas with model paint and a brush.
I gave the head and body several coats of white tool dip spray from a rattle can. The head was prepped with some model putty along the seams so it looked more uniform, since the character was bald it seemed like an important step.
I masked the figure the same way I masked the armor. For surfaces like this rubbery paint you need to remove the masking tape as soon as the paint is dry or it can stick to the base layer. You can't mask it too soon after the base coat either or you will be starting over. The nice thing about this tool dip is you can peel it all off anytime- even years later, with no damage to the model.
I was up against holiday shipping times so I built her without too many stops for progress pics, here she is all together. With weapons and belt.
Back of Figure
The thermal detonators on her belt are just trimmed versions of the gen 1 Quin eyeballs. The 'butt flap' armor is attached to the belt.
I included an instruction sheet since some of the figure's parts can be removed or swapped out.
Thingiverse saved the day with great model files. I didn't charge for the armor or weapons since some designers don't want their work to be sold, I charge the same for custom figures as I do for a standard Quin. I'm happy to give them attribution for their great models.
I've been a model maker since I was 5 and I started to make my own designs into models when I was 11 or 12. I backed the 3DKitbash KickStarter for Quin: To Infinity and Beyond after I saw her first images. at that point I was just getting into 3D Printing after a false start with a Makerbot kit. I've been printing my designs and characters from 3DKitbash on my Afinia 479 ever since.
Follow Eric on Instagram @clumsyblasterspix!